Force Mac to Request Authentication for a Printer
Steps to resolve when a MAC is trying to print to the Print Server and the job is getting stuck at "Authenticating".
Remember, credentials use below format
username: boilerad\username (if this doesn't work, just try your username)
password: career account password
- Click the refresh symbol on the job in the print queue, if the login prompt does not appear, continue to step 2
- Open Terminal and type lpstat -s to list all printers on the system.
- Find the problem printer ([printer-name]) in the list f devices. The printer name will be located after the line "device for"
Ex: device for MyPrinter_5600_Series: usb://00000000-0000-0000-AB12-00000000
In this case, the printer name would be MyPrinter_5600_Series
- Type sudo lpadmin -p [printer name] -o auth-info-required=username,password
When you press return the Terminal will prompt for the MACs local password, enter it to continue
- Clear the print queue and send another job to the problem printer, the user should now be prompted for their credentials, follow the format at the top of this article.